TMJ Diet: Whole Roasted Cauliflower
Cauliflower is delicious steamed or roasted and when cooked whole, makes an interesting table centerpiece. For those with jaw problems, including jaw pain and trouble chewing, who need to be on a soft food diet, this three-ingredient soft cauliflower recipe is ideal. Steaming and then roasting the cauliflower allows for a soft texture without sacrificing the sweet and nutty flavor of only roasting it.
If you prefer not to have the extra step of putting the cauliflower in the oven, then just allow the cauliflower to steam for a longer period of time. Pierce with a fork to check the level of softness. As an alternative to serving the cauliflower whole, after it is steamed, you can make cauliflower rice by mashing the cauliflower into pieces with a fork. Then season and serve.
Did you know that cauliflower is a cruciferous anti-cancer vegetable? One whole medium-size head has only 146 calories and is packed with fiber and nutrients including 12 grams fiber, 472 percent daily value for vitamin C, 55 percent daily value for vitamin B-6, 22 percent daily value for magnesium, 12 percent daily value for calcium and 13 percent daily value for iron.
What is a soft food diet? A soft food diet consists of foods that are soft and easy to chew and swallow. Those with TMJ disorder may have limited mobility in their jaw. Jaw pain can worsen if the jaw is overused during an acute stage of TMJ disorder. Too much chewing may constitute overuse. Soft foods are often chopped, ground, mashed or pureed. It is best to cook with moist methods such as steaming and simmering.
TMJ Recipe: Whole Roasted Cauliflower
Choose organic ingredients when available
- 1 medium head cauliflower, remove bottom stalk and outside leaves, keep head intact
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt to taste, optional
- Preheat oven to 385 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rinse the head of cauliflower and place it in a large saucepan with about 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil, lower heat to a simmer, cover and steam for 10 to 15 minutes, until a fork can pierce it easily. Watch the water level and add more if it’s needed.
- Remove head from the saucepan and place on a roasting pan, core-side down. Rub the cauliflower head with olive oil and lightly season with salt (optional).
- Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, depending on size or until a knife easily pierces the core. If you prefer a softer texture, then roast for longer. If it browns too much, tent with foil.
- Serves 4.
What is TJz Balm™?
An organic and botanical topical night-time pain relief balm that soothes the jaw.
Most name-brand OTC topical pain relief formulas use synthetic chemical ingredients that may be detrimental to your skin, whereas TJz Balm™ is made with 100 percent botanical ingredients that are soothing for delicate areas of the jaw, neck and behind the ears. TJz Balm™ is manufactured in the USA with global ingredients, is dermatologist reviewed and GMO-free, and uses no animal-testing. The hands-free massaging applicator helps to relax the jaw while applying the pain relief balm.