High Protein Soft Foods to Ease Jaw Pain
Eating well is extremely important when it comes to your health and well-being. The Mediterranean diet and the concepts in the award winning book Beyond The Mediterranean Diet, which combine the DASH diet and the Mediterranean diet rank the best overall diets for longevity and health. These diets are rich in vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants; and provide the right balance of protein, carbohydrates and fat. Jaw problems and TMJ jaw pain cause inflammation around the jaw. Following a Mediterranean-type diet helps because of its anti-inflammatory effects.
When any part of the body is in a healing mode protein, zinc, vitamins A and C, and antioxidants are key nutrients. Protein is used by the body to build, maintain, and repair body tissues. When someone is wounded or has an infection, it is likely they will need extra protein and also extra calories and nutrients.
Natural foods such as whole grains, fruits and vegetables are rich in nutrients and antioxidants. However, those suffering with TMJ jaw pain and TMJ headaches from teeth grinding, and clenching may have difficulty eating these types of foods. That's because wholesome foods have more fiber and require more chewing. Those with jaw problems can navigate this dilemma by using creativity in the preparation of soft meals and snacks made with natural foods.
What to Eat when Healing
(This is a guide. Seek the advice of a registered dietitian who can tailor a diet to fit your individual needs.)
- Grains (5 servings per day)- Choose whole grains for higher protein content. Soft food idea: Soak rolled oats overnight in kefir.
- Vegetables (3+ servings per day)- Spinach, Brussels sprouts, artichokes, snow peas, broccoli, asparagus and mushrooms provide significant protein. Soft food Idea: Add baby greens to fruit smoothies for a boost without bitterness.
- Fruit (2+ servings per day)- Dried apricots, prunes, avocados, guava, and jackfruit contain protein. Fruits are abundant in antioxidants. Soft food idea: Microwave apples and apples for a sweet and satisfying dessert.
- Protein (4-8 servings per day)- Eat the protein portion of your meal first in case you get full quickly. Soft food idea: Add tofu and nut butters to smoothies and puddings for a plant-based protein boost.
- Dairy (3 servings)- Cow milk and soy milk contain significant amounts of protein. Most plant-based milks are devoid of protein. Soft food idea: Substitute low-fat milk for water in recipes and top soups with fresh cheese or low-fat yogurt.
High Protein Soft Foods to Ease the Jaw
- Low-fat yogurt or kefir
- Smoothies made with low-fat yogurt or kefir
- Scrambled eggs
- Tuna salad made with low-fat plain yogurt and Dijon mustard
- Soft, flaky fish like salmon
- Fresh cheeses like part-skim mozzarella or ricotta
- Bean soup
- Chicken soup
- Silken or soft tofu
- Natural nut butters like peanut or almond butter
- Puddings made with low-fat milk and egg
Food is an enjoyment and is also meant to keep our bodies healthy and strong. A soft food diet can be both nutritious and delicious.
Enjoy the images below and feel free to share this information with others who suffer with TMJ jaw pain and other jaw problems. For more TMJ jaw pain relief tips follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter @tjzbalm